Student Programs Overview
Intended for all those in the hospitality industry who have a vested interest in Oklahoma's youth and the future success of the industry within our state.
Student Programs is recognized as a model educational program that creates a positive connection between school, work and future employment for young people and impacts workforce development for the hospitality and tourism industry.
To cultivate a new source of talent for the hospitality industry through state partnerships dedicated to hospitality school-to-career and mentoring programs, leading to a recognized national certification.
- Oklahoma Restaurant Association
- Oklahoma Hotel and Lodging Association
- Oklahoma Travel Industry Association
- Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education
- Oklahoma Hospitality Foundation
- National Restaurant Association
- American Hotel and Lodging Association
Why was Student Programs Formed?
- To help young people develop skills for the world of work
- To develop awareness of the careers available within the hospitality and tourism industry
- To enhance the image of the hospitality profession
- To help alleviate the shortage of qualified labor needed in our industry
What is School-to-Career?
- A significant education reform strategy that links what is learned in the classroom with workplace experiences.
- High school students learn business skills in the classroom, become acquainted with career opportunities at career workshops and on field trips.
- Gain practical experience during on-site, hands-on internships at local restaurants, hotels, and other travel and tourism venues
- Provides students with the skills necessary to transition from the learning environment to being a productive employee and citizen
What are Student Program's Areas of Focus?
- Increase of industry involvement in school-to-career partnerships
- Increase student access to mentored work experiences
- Enhance resources available to educators regarding the hospitality and tourism industry
- Improve hospitality industry image
- Strengthen educator-industry partnerships
- Document the impact of hospitality school-to-career programs
- Develop recruitment human resources for the industry workforce
- Provide students with information about college credit through articulation agreements with Hospitality and Tourism programs in colleges and universities
In Which Schools is Student Programs Currently Involved?
- Autry Technology Center
- Caddo Kiowa Technology Center?Gordon Cooper Technology Center
- Indian Capital Technology Center?Kiamichi Technology Center, Poteau
- Kiamichi Technology Center, Idabel
- Meridian Technology Center, Stillwater
- Metro Technology Center, South Bryant
- Metro Technology Center, Springlake?Nathan Hale High School
- Northwest Classen High School
- Northeast Technology Center, Afton?Northeast Technology Center, Pryor
- Northwest Technology Center, Fairview
- OKC Centennial High School
- Pioneer Technology Center?Shawnee High School
- Star Spencer High School
- Tulsa Technology Center, Lemley Campus
- Tulsa Technology Center, Owasso Campus
- Western Technology Center
What are the Long-Term Goals of Student Programs?
- Assist students in obtaining jobs in the industry
- Establishment of scholarships for program graduates
- Recognition events for contributions of students, educators and partners the career initiative
- Create financial sustainability and stability through a variety of funding sources
Who Should Get Involved in Student Programs?
All stakeholders in the hospitality industry who have a vested interest in Oklahoma's youth and the future success of the industry within our state.
How Does One Get Involved in Student Programs and Student Programs-Supported Projects?
Student Programs welcomes financial and in-kind donations.
For Additional Information:
Please contact Chandy Rice (405) 942-8181 or (800) 375-8181, or via e-mail.